header ad

Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Days 4 & 5

*I just need to take a moment to say thank you to everyone who has reached out to lend strength, support and prayers as well as offers to connect us to those who have walked this path before.  We are totally overwhelmed (in a good way!) and just trying to sort through all the information given to us by the doctors/ nurses as well as the foundations, families and support systems.  It is so beyond comforting to know we are not alone in this fight and have so many resources and people who are able to help us know what to expect.  As I said, I don't know it yet, but I know that God chose Addie specifically for this fight and I trust that we will all one day know exactly why, and be grateful for all of this - even the bad and scary stuff.

8/21 - Today has been Addie's best one yet!  She did have a dose of Chemo through her IV and handled it flawlessly and showed no side effects.  She seemed "herself" all day today and it was so nice to see. She did complain that her throat was hurting periodically throughout the day and the doctor said it could be either a side effect of the steroids she is on (they can cause mouth sores) or possibly a small infection given the fact that she essentially has no immune system at the moment. They gave her Tylenol and that seemed to help.  She didn't want to be in bed much either with the exception of when she took a 2 hour nap in the late afternoon.  It was so nice to see her resting without any pain.  At night she became a ravenous little beast!  She requested chicken fingers for dinner and finished all of them (if you know Addie, you know its rare for her to ever finish her meal, lol).  She then requested cucumbers with salt, more chicken fingers and finished off her cravings with a bagel!  It was a relief to see her with such an appetite since that hasn't been the case since we got here.



8/22 - Today was a hard day on Addie - we aren't sure if it is because of the Chemo yesterday or the fact that her WBC (white blood cells) are almost at 0 giving her body the inability to fight infection. She basically slept the whole day and barely ate or drank anything - quite the opposite from the night before. She was up for a short time and painted a picture that we hung on her wall.  In the evening she started complaining that her head hurt so we checked her temperature and it was at 100.3 - the highest its been since we got to the hospital.  I of course panicked but the nurses assured me that fevers are to be expected and they have protocols in place on how to handle them.  The good news is that my strong little girl was able to fight it off on her own without medication and within 2 hours her temperature went back down to 98.7.  At around 9:00pm Dan ran out to get Starbucks and Addie requested a S'mores frappuccino (happy to see she still loves these!).  He came back and she told us that they made it wrong. LOL.  She explained how it was supposed to have graham crackers on the top and chocolate on the bottom (this one looked like it was all chocolate). So then she said, "I think I'll try a Strawberry one instead".  I told her they were probably closed now, but Dan of course flew back out and drove back to Starbucks to get our girl what she wanted.  I didn't think she would end up drinking it - she was asking for things all day, would take a bite and not want it anymore), but to my surprise she drank about half and I had a little sigh of relief.  Not the healthiest option, but it was great to see her actually eat something today.  Hoping for a better day tomorrow.
My Sleeping Beauty


If there is one thing we have come to learn, between the steroids, pain and her emotion of being in the hospital, things can change on a dime for her and her mood.  She could be whining one second and complaining about something hurting her, not even wanting to speak a word- and then burst out something off the wall hysterical!  I miss her sassy little personality and when we see glimmers of it, I hold on so tight to those moments.  I can't wait for her to be "out of the woods" here in the hospital and somewhat back to herself-at least for more than a few moments.

With Love,

17 comments:

  1. Praying for you all. I've been watching your videos for years and years and my heart was so broken when I read the news. You're such a strong and awesome Mom! Prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok Dan running right back out to get her a new drink is just so sweet. That made me tear up for some reason.

    As a mother I can't imagine what you are all going through right now. I'm so glad you are finding comfort in your faith in God. I agree that He must have a reason for this. Though sometimes I'd probably be mad at Him for it lol. Addis is lucky to have three wonderful parents on her side and such an amazing family surrounding her. Sending you all the powerful prayers and warm wishes possible

    ReplyDelete
  3. Prayers your way. Keep strong Addie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sending prayers & hugs to you all! Stay strong Addie!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've had fevers on and off since my spinal tap and bone marrow transplant—they come and go, as do the headaches. So sorry sweet little Addie has to go through this. My heart has been aching since I heard the news, but I have held her and your entire family close to my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been in constant prayer for little Addie. Even in the middle on the night I wake up and it's the first thing I think about and pray for her for a while. I have asked every prayer warrior I know to keep her in their prayers also. He will come out of his stronger than ever and so will you all. Thank you for keeping us informed. I come back to the blog all the time to check on the little princess.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sending you and your little Addie lots of love and support <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just read your instagram post prior to reading this and i am SO extremely happy that she is low risk. i know she will be back to her normal sassy, lovable self very soon. There is never a rainbow without some rain. So be strong and keep fighting. I can see all the prayers are already making helping loads through this process.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sending your family lots of prayers and love. Addie is so brave. She is going to beat this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So much love and so many prayers for your family. A good friend of mine battled ALL as a kid and is now a happy and healthy mom of 3 kids. I know you said hopeful stories were helpful to hear! <3

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for updating us on Addie. Can't stop thinking about her and praying for you all. Hope your princess is feeling better then yesterday. And tomorrow better then today...🙏🏻🙏🏻

    ReplyDelete
  12. Reading in tears at the sweetness of this post. Love to you all and many many prayers for a quick fight and remission for Addie ❤️❤️❤️

    Melanee

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so sorry about what you and Addie are going through, but so thankful that she is low risk. I am happy you have an amazing man like Dan by your and Addie's sides like that. I am praying for her and your family and have been since I heard her diagnosis. <3

    ReplyDelete
  14. Praying for Addie. 🙏🏼 She's in God's hands. She will get through this. Faith!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sending so much love and prayers your way! Addie is in my thoughts and God will get her through this!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Praying for your sweet family, I cant imagine what this journey feels like(having two girls of my own) but god works in mysterious ways and having your faith will help you guys to get through this! Stay strong she is pretty lucky to have such a great family beside her.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I remember my brother went through the same phase where he wanted something then changed his mind as soon as it was infrint of him. Its a common side effect of all of the medications and treatment. I'm happy to know that she doing well. Stay strong xo ❤

    ReplyDelete

Contact Form for Michele1218

Name

Email *

Message *